It’s so nice we connected via Facebook. Which, by the way, I hate – but mostly because answering the “So, what have you been up to?” question gets tedious after the first hundred times.
Possibly you’re just more patient than I am. Anyway:
- I started at Calhoun at age four, then went to Riverdale, and finally ended up at The Lenox School.
- I went to the University of Rhode Island in a teenage dramafest bid to follow my high school boyfriend around the nation. (I was 18 and a moron.) That predictably fell apart by Thanksgiving, but I loved Rhode Island and ended up happy at Providence College.
- My college boyfriend actually did end up marrying a nice Jewish girl from New Jersey. (One who apparently won’t let him speak to me. Go figure.)
- I worked for a non-for-profit music school in Providence for a couple of years during and after college, which was great training in doing everything.
- I discovered the internet in 1995, and went to work at Microsoft in online community building. And got fired. With a cease and desist order.
- I started a successful adult website for women back in the day, which was a blast. I also got to write advice columns for dirty magazines, which was fun.
- In 1997, I moved to London because I’d fallen for a Brit. I went to work for a dot come start up, went dot bust, and eventually found myself as the Director of Online Services for a new media company. The new media company lasted longer than the relationship, which broke up in 2002.
- An indecently short time later, I met my now-husband on New Years Eve 2002/3. He’s brilliant. We got married in September (and November, but that’s a long story) of 2004. He’s in radio, with a helping of political rabble rousing on the side. We live and work together all day and we’re very happy that way.
- I didn’t change my name, we have no children and, since you are too polite to ask, probably won’t.
- In 2005 we moved from London to Cork, Ireland in an effort to depart from the rat race. I worked as the Director of Marketing for a telecoms company for a while, and then went freelance here.
- In 2006, we got a dog. She’s a boxer, she’s six, and her name is Eimear. (Eee-mer.) She likes to sleep holding hands.
- I run a small web development and online marketing company. I do not suck at what I do, and have won some nice awards. I work almost exclusively with small businesses, start-ups and founders. I work crazy hours but I am happy for almost all of them.
- In 2008, we bought our first (and only) house, which is undergoing continual renovations. Around us. We are never moving out of this house, ever.
Other things you may want to know:
- I am still shorter than you think I am.
- If I slept with your boyfriend, I’m sorry.
- Yes, I’m still a left wing screaming hippy liberal. Bite me.
- My sisters are both well. Frankie is
on hiatus fromin law school and Samantha just got her masters and is teaching grade school in BrooklynManhattan. They both still live in New York.
- My parents are both great. After raising three kids in a 3 bedroom apartment in NYC, they bought a seven bedroom house in New Jersey as soon as we’d left for college. Which made no sense, but whatever. My mum is semi-retired from publishing now and my dad is still an active partner at Lowenstein Sandler.
- My other dad is still in Toronto and probably still drunk, but we have not spoken since 2005. He’s still with Leo and still an affable asshat.
- Joe and Jim are great, thank you for asking. They are still in NYC and recently completed a massive renovation on the house on Vandam Street. The Water Island house is still standing, too!
So, what about you?