Sabrina Dent: Web Design & Development
Although I am best known as a web designer for WordPress, what I really am is a nanny for startups – and I don’t just work with WordPress.
I specialise in helping startups and small businesses launch big brands, from inception to beta and beyond. I can help you:
- Streamline your business plan
- Productise your goods or services
- Develop your brand and your logo
- Design and build your website
- Target and optimise your site for search engines
- Launch your social media outreach
- Plan your guerilla PR campaign
- Manage your online marketing
It’s a fairly broad skill set, one that is geared towards getting you up and running. It is not, however, inexhaustible or bottomless and you should normally plan to outgrow me in about two years. At that point you should be profitable, funded or broke.
But wait, don’t you design websites?
Sure. I have some clients for whom I design and build websites and do little else. But building a website is a process, and normally in that process we encounter problems that need to be fixed. These problems commonly include:
- Your product is fragmented, complicated or hard to understand
- Your pricing and cash flow projections were made up for your bank manager
- You don’t have a brand – you have a logo, and it’s horrendous
- Your domain leaves search engine traffic on the table
- You’ve never heard of a marketing plan, and don’t have one
All of those things tend to come out during the design-and-build planning process. They also tend to get fixed, because there is no chance I’m going to let you go out dressed like that.
At the end of the development process, it’s typical for clients to ask the questions that kick off the online marketing phase:
- How do I let people know my website is here?
- How do I get in the paper or on the radio?
- How much do I budget for Google AdWords?
- What do I do with Twitter and Facebook?
- What the hell is permission-based marketing?
If you have strategies in place for all of these very common stumbling blocks, that’s fabulous – let’s build you a website. If half those questions never occurred to you, we should probably talk.
1. Can I subcontract you?
Thank you, but no. I prefer to work directly with clients.
2. Do you do agency work?
Thank you, but no. I prefer to work directly with humans.
3. Can I hire you to design a logo for me?
Sadly no. I hate doing logos so I do not do them as one-offs.
4. Do you do print?
Sadly no, I am not a print designer. I do print under duress for existing clients only.
5. Are you expensive?
Sadly no. My prices are set to enable me to work with the broke startups I love. My daily rate is €350. Sites start at 1.5 days and projects climb to €20K. After that you’re better off just hiring me full time for the duration.
I work with PHP developer Katherine Nolan and CSS-stylist Guillermo Moreno on large-scale projects. I would recommend them to you but then I might not be able to work with them. I suggest you hire these people instead:
Communications: Damien Mulley. Design & Build: David Behan, Frank Prendergast, Lee Munroe, Red Million. Design Only: Matt Dempsey. Project Management: Maryrose Lyons. PPC: Martina Skelley Search: Redfly.
These are all services I use and love, either for myself or for clients:
Domains: Blacknight, Gandi Hosting: Blacknight Newsletters: Campaign Monitor Payments: Realex Project Management: TeamworkPM Stock: iStock, Dreamstime Themes: ThemeForest, Elegant Themes, Premium Themes
You may also wish to visit my disclosures, if you’re picky like that.